San Jose, CA – iPhone users, almost by definition, are technology savvy individuals who are ready to embrace new technology and to embrace much of what the technological world has to offer. For that reason alone iPhone users are very likely to be heavily involved in social networking.
“iPhone app developers who want to market their iPhone App must spend some time onFacebook, Twitter, YouTube, Linked-In, iTunes and similar social networks to spread the word and generate sales,” says Scott Lorenz, President of Westwind Communications an iPhone app marketing firm.
“And before reaching out to consumers at social networks a must-do task is to insure that the description you write for the iPhone Store captures interest and conveys the value of your App. Keep refining the description as conditions change and keep adding testimonials and sales rankings,” says Lorenz.
“Social networking is free so your only investment is the time and effort you put in to it. Invest wisely! In the pre-launch stage, make sure your App uses search-rich words in its title and make sure you already have a blog or website in place.“
One Westwind Communications client capitalized on what he fore saw as the fervor that was to ensue for the use of those dreaded Vuvuzelas during World Cup Soccer. He anticipated the turmoil weeks and months in advance and created aniPhone app game called Vuvuzaga to play into this interest. The day after the games started the word ‘Vuvuzelas’ was surging on Google and Twitter and people were talking about this game. Few people outside South Africa had ever heard of Vuvuzelas but this developer clearly had the foresight and acted upon it. Lorenz asks “Can you?”
Lorenz stresses “For any social network, invest time and effort into your profile.Create a profile that is robust, enticing, and complete. Networking is all about being personable so add some of your personality. Include the link where you want others to view or download your App.”
Twitter is a highly-effective network to use for messaging your product, service and brand. But before you reach for the consumer’s wallet you must give your followers something that interests them. Mike Vallez, of CrazyMikesapps.com,says the rule of thumb for successfully using social networking for promotionis that 80 percent of the time you offer free information that will benefit someone else and the other 20 percent to promote your app.
Twitter allows you to add photos and links, so take advantage of this powerful option.There are numerous tools online that automatically Tweet your content onto Twitter which will reduce your busy work. The major goal when using Twitter isto grow your base of followers as large as you can so you can increase your App’s exposure.
Lorenzpoints out that LinkedIn is the Number One business social networking site andis a community where real deals are made. “Want to be known for a particular keyword?” asks Lorenz. “Place the key words in your profile, in the profile title, and summary. In growing your user base, take full advantage of the workand education suggested contacts on LinkedIn. Join as many relevant groups as you can so you can add members of these groups as contacts.”
Lorenz believes that YouTube is the “absolutely best networking tool” to use to have the best chance of your iPhone App going viral, causing sales to skyrocket. He says that to have a crack at this kind ofsuccess it is important to: make your videos short, interesting, entertainingand explanatory; don’t make them boring or tedious to watch; avoid a monotone voice; humor, properly used, can dramatically increase a video’s popularity. One of Westwind Communications’ recent iPhone app promotions was for ‘IcePics’ ashoot and send iPhone app. “Our YouTube views increased by 13,500 overnight from 11pm to 6am after an interview on Wall Street Journal Radio and a couple of highly trafficked review sites,” says Lorenz.
And, finally, create links on your App’s website or blog to all social networkswhere you have a presence. The more social networks the better because more exposure generates more sales.
About Scott Lorenz and Westwind iPhone App Publicity
Scott Lorenz is President of Westwind Communications, a public relations and marketing firm that has a special knack for working with individuals and entrepreneurs to help them get all the publicity they deserve and more. Lorenz has handled public relations and marketing for numerous iPhoneApp developers, authors, doctors, lawyers, inventors and entrepreneurs. Learn more about Westwind iPhone AppPublicityat www.iPhoneAppPublicity.com or contact Lorenz atscottlorenz@iPhoneAppPublicity.com or by phone at 734-667-2090.